[lit-ideas] Re: The Philippines and Iraq

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 01:23:05 -0700 (PDT)

There is a bit too much history to chew all at once
here, so I'll just respond to some of your points.
Various imperialist powers - the Europeans, Russia,
the US, Japan - were grabbing for control of East and
South-East Asia in the late 19th and the early 20th
century. Each could have made the argument that, if
they don't colonize, someone else will. The casus beli
for the US war with Spain was the explosion of Maine,
which is now believed to have been either staged or
accidental. In any case, the fact that these lands
were coveted by other imperialist powers as well would
not exonerate the US from having been imperialistic.
The article I posted provides plenty of evidence that
these wars were essentially imperialistic and
conducted in an imperialist manner.

The Korean war might arguably have started as a war of
containment, but it turned into an imperialist war
when Mac Arthur crossed the 38th Parallel and tried to
occupy North Korea. I'll leave a discussion of the
Vietnam War for another occasion.

Afghanistan was indeed not so much an imperialist war,
i.e. the US were really interested in Iraq and Iran
rather than in Afghanistan (and indeed have refrained
from occupying the country completely, but left much
of it to the warlords), but rather a
tactical-political war. The US government had to do
something to make it appear before the domestic and
international public that it was responding to
Al-Queda attack, but allowing the Al-Queda leaders to
slip out has conveniently enabled it to take "the war
on terror" to other countries and continue it
indefinitely. Iraq has been sufficiently discussed, I
believe.

I am not sure why you think that the US expansion on
the North-American continent was not imperialistic
because it involved settlers looking for land. The
Romans, the Byzanthinians, the Turks, the Russians,
the French etc. were all using settlers in their
imperialistic campaigns. We might if you want
distinguish between "settler imperialism" and
"colonial imperialism" (f.e. the British in India) but
it wouldn't change much on the basic issue.

Finally, it might be a narrow use of the term
'imperialism' to limit it to cases of direct military
invasion of occupation. Chalmers Johnson was making an
interesting point that the US has about as many
military bases in the Middle East as the Roman Empire
did when it was ruling it. Threat of power, economic
control, establishing of 'client states' and puppet
rulers are all time-honoured tools of imperialism.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com