[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Grice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:29:20 EDT

My last today. I hate to correct myself, but

In a message dated 6/28/2011 11:23:58, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx  writes:
maximally exchange of informativeness. Even orders,
like  "Love me!" is an exchange of info from an utterer to an addressee
("utterer  informs addressee that he loves her"). It would be otiose in  a
genuine
monologue  to have, "Love me!" -- the utterer already knows  that, and it
is
useless to  'inform yourself' about stuff.

-----  should of course re-read as follows (I was just re-reading Enns's
first part of  his post, and thought of commenting):

maximally efficient exchange of  informativeness.

"Love me"

---- utterer informs addressee that he  desires the addressee to love the
utterer.

"There is nothing  arbitrary about Grice's transcendental justification:
conversational  moves are reasonable (if not rational) only on condition
that
they  serve towards this maximally exchange of info."

to read:

towards  this maximally efficient exchange of info.

My point was to have  imperatives as informative, pace Grice. Grice would
sometimes speak of  'influencing' as the goal of conversation: influence and
being influence by  others; but I can't see how that can be done unless you
inform them. Protreptic  utterances, like "Love me!" are exhibitive of one's
desires, too.

and so  on.

Cheers,

Speranza