[lit-ideas] The Deeds of Joshua

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 06:26:05 -0500

In a message dated 3/3/2015 6:04:30 A.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
it is not clear to me why the Jews  would have made up the story of the
violent, brutal conquest of Canaan under  Yoshua if no such thing ever took
place.

In one of his essays, D. Lodge reports that one of his PhD students is
writing a dissertation (under his supervision) on the influence of T. S. Eliot
on William Shakespeare (I'm paraphrasing: the dissertation is more
specific,  concentrating on a few tropes).

By the same token, one reason for the Joshua episode may be that it  would
provide Haendel an occasion to compose one of his greatest hymns  ever!

see the conqu’ring --- hero comes
sound the trumpets -- beat the  drums
sports prepare --- the laurel bring
songs of triumph --- to the hero  sing

-- Handel, Giosuè: oratorio. Composed between 19 July 1747 and 19 August
1747, it premiered on the 9th March, 1748 at the Covent Garden Theatre,
London.

Not to mention one of the best pictorial representations ever, including
"La Battaglia di Giosuè contro gli Amoriti" (Nicola Poussin), "Giosuè ordina
al  sole di fermarsi sopra a Gibeon" (Martin) and "Giosuè prega Dio per il
popolo  ebraico affinché il sole non venga oscurato, illustrazione" (Gustavo
Doré).

Cheers,

Speranza

KEYWORDS: Hero