[lit-ideas] Re: The Debate

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 02:58:49 EDT

In a message dated 10/8/2004 9:53:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
.   No matter what the question was, neither of the candidates addressed
what  was asked.
Well, not totally true. In fact, the ONLY question that really was not
addressed, directly by John Kerry on an 'immediate' sense was the one about how

her friends (relatives?) were abroad over the summer and came back all upset
over how much we are disliked.  John Kerry went towards what Bush had  started
speaking on -- and probably made the decision to address those  issues.  BUT
(probably when you were talking to your folks...oh, I mean  parental units <g>)
he DID go back to her with her point and addressed it  later...but during a
different question (can you tell *I* watched it all  <g>)

1.1  Since when does health care have to do with the  environment?
His point was that just because you try to change the subject and/or say
things, it does not make it so. Then he went into some of the aspects of the
environment--though I agree, I do wish they each had spent more time on  it.

2.  George W. Bush was about to say "reverse" instead of  "reserve".
Yes, well...

3.  The women in the audience were very poorly  dressed.
Okay, I don't know about that.  Here I have to agree with Stan--or  maybe you
being from a thrid world country <g>.  *I* saw several  outfits that *I*
would look really cute in if I had had them...But more of them  were probably
MY
age than YOURS...<g>

4.  One guy asked a really stupid question that requested  Kerry to look into
the camera and tell the truth
Okay...maybe explain this further?  I'm missing something  here...

5.  George W. Bush owns a small timber  company?
Well, I think what was said was that he has set things up so that he  profits
from being called a 'small business'...in a sense like he was like one  of
the people who own one and make even close to $200000 a year (he makes and  has
had lots more than that...it's kind of scary when you realize the man never
worked a 'real' day in his life that I can tell...)

 I will get back to you in terms of his interests in the timber  company.

6.  I can't believe you think Canadian drugs will kill  you.
Hey, our PRESIDENT said it. NOT me.  I actually would really like it  if we
could get some from Canada.

7.  I flipped between the debate and That 70's  Show.
But, at least you DID watch some of the debate. It is, of course, not your
nation so of course it does not affect you quite as much.  But, I do know
several who skippped the other debates--and so they watched this one.  It
probably was more interesting just because you could really see how Bush had
been
coached..

7.1  I also managed to watch the new Jessica Simpson music  video.
Okay.  I do like the concept of choreographing such.  There was a  time, of
course, when that did not happen. <g>  But, I like that it  does. I think it
pulls forward a whole additonal aspect of the creativity of the  mind...

7.2  My mother thinks that when she said "pieces of me" she is  really saying
"fish earls".
Explain, please?

7.3  I don't know how the association was initially  made.
And it might hurt her if you asked her, I am guessing?  Or make her  upset?
DON'T ASK if it would make her upset.  Not worth it...

7.4.  I think she's just disturbed because they're leaving for Israel
tomorrow  and she left their revised wills at the office.
Oh, I hope they have a great trip!  Is it their first one?  Does  she travel
very much?

7.5  I said I'd be in charge of all their financial  investments.
Good for you!

8.  I think both candidates are full of  shit.
Well, hm.  What's the saying?  Mud thrown is ground lost.

or...

if you cannot tell from who they are or say or do or write or ...

then think of this:

One night in late October,
When I was far from sober,
Returning with my load with manly pride,
My feet began to stutte,
So I lay down in the gutter.

And a pig came near and lay down by my side;
A lady passing by was heard to say:
"You can tell a man who boozes,
By the company he chooses"
And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

I look at some of those who have, through the years, been a 'match' for  John
Kerry. I look at those who have been a 'match' for George Bush.

Hopefully that will help--and, again, fortunately it is not something you
have to agonize about--or maybe you would have gone a bit deeper in each of
them.

I do know what you are saying, though.  It IS hard to believe that  anything
can change sometimes.  But, lots of things HAVE changed through  the years in
numerous aspects of each of our lives.

But, sometimes, perhaps a bit like you, I DO feel like this:

I'm not for free trade and I'm for protection;
I approve of them both, and to both have objection.
In strolling through life I increasingly find
It's a terrible nuisance to make up one's mind;
So, in spite of all comment, reproaches, predictions,
I firmly adhere to unsettled convictions.

8.1  I'm glad I'm not American.
I'm glad you are glad that you are who and where you are.  Since you  are who
you are and where you are, of course.

8.2  I don't care if I have to wait for five hours to see a  doctor at the
hostpital for a cut that needs two stiches.
Well, I suppose that is good.

8.3  I don't have any cuts that need stitches, but I did fall  down the
stairs yesterday.
Well, "no great loss without some small gain", as Ma Ingalls always said.  <g>

8.4  I thought that maybe if I broke my ankle I wouldn't have  to write my
exam.
That was a creative thought.

8.5  I didn't break my ankle.
So, you had to do the exam.  But, at least your ankle is not broken  and you
are not walking (or trying to walk) on crutches.  Or sitting with  it up in
the air while you wished you were anywhere else.

9.  The debate was on at least six channels.
How many do you have?

10.  I rather liked Kerry's closing remarks.
What do you remember about them?

11.  I rather liked Bush's appeal to the "scrutiny of history"  in regards to
his mistakes.
Because....??

12.  I rather liked my bottle of Moosehead more than I cared  for either of
them.
Okay.  I was drinking wine (until I changed, finally, to my latest
supplement: peach herbal tea.  Kind of good and while not QUITE the same
ambiance,
comes close if you put it in some really cute cups...  But the  wine was really
good, actually.)

13.  It was a very small audience.
Set up so.  It's supposed to be more of a 'town hall' meeting...

14.  Who the hell goes to these things?
Oh, my.  SO many people wanted to go.  Meet me and then you'll  know.  I
would have enjoyed it and found it very interesting.  Would  have wanted to go
with some others, though.

15.  Was it really "live"?
Yes.

16.  Who do you all vote for?
In my area, not just president and governor and senator this time as well  as
our Secretary of State (interesting election as is our governor one...)  but
also we have our representative up for grabs.  That one is kind of a  tough
decision for me.  I really like for many reasons the Republican  candidate but
also dislike her for many reasons, as well.  She was one of  the folks who
started Cerner Company (hq in our area) and was very very  instrumental in
making
sure that they had onsite childcare, women got paid as  much as men--that sort
of thing.  But, she is extremely weird in other  areas that drive me
crazy--legislating abortion, parental consent with no  considerations for
outlying
circumstances, supports No Child Left Behind (and  that has been awful for the
schools in our area).  The Democrat running  used to be mayor for ages and ages
for Kansas City Missouri proper.  Now,  that is a horribly messy city when it
comes to politics and he survived and  actually DID do some really healthy
things for The City.  However, he did  set up and allow lots of TIFS which are
awful for libraries and schools and  colleges [esp community colleges].

We have other people and situations we are voting for, too.

Who do you vote for?  How do you make your decisions?

17.  Are you all the sort of people that don't like to tell  who you vote
for?
No--but I do like it better if people can tell me why they are voting
however they are voting.  I do not mind if you tell me that it is your  opinion
but
I do prefer that it be clear when you do so.  But, I prefer at  least an
articulate answer...

18.  Can you tell I don't care a whit about  politics?
But, you ought to.  It IS your world, after all.  And, what you  do not take
care of actively, others will take care of by default.

Still, I know you are tired and (I hope) are simply saying what seems to be
cute when one is tired, has to take parents to the airport and they are going
to  be gone, and you don't have a cell phone that works right now [THAT above
all  else excuses any attitude you may be having <g>], took an exam you don't
think you did your 'best' on, etc. etc.

But, just in case you need some inspiration or motivation:

No Middle Way
None of us can escape the importance of choice. We may think that we can  set
our lives in the direction of a middle way by trying to make the best of
both worlds. If so, we may as well know at once that we cannot have what is
often called the best of both worlds. When we want something from both of them,

we finally get the worst of both and never the best.

Moreover, there is no best in evil, for by its very character evil must be
the worst of all. No one can sit on the fence for long. He will finally land on
 one side or the other. So when we pitch the tent of our lives we ought to be
 careful regarding the direction in which it is facing.

HEY...did you note the 'tenting' part?

And, I'm not sure I agree that there is no 'best' in evil.

Here's a new thread:  What is 'evil'?  IS there a 'good' or  'evil' part of
'evil'?

19.  Do you know who the Canadian Prime Minister is?
Paul Martin.
"Canadians have elected a new Parliament, the 38th in our nationâ??s proud
history, and they expect their representatives to make it work. We will
endeavour to prove ourselves up to the task. My new team is dedicated to
building a
21st century economy, strengthening our cherished social programs and
achieving real progress on the issues that matter most to people across our
land. We
will be steadfast in working on behalf of all Canadians to build a  better
Canada."
I read his reply to the "Speech on the Throne" (or called something like
that...) and NOWHERE does he apologize for Canada being a third world country
which cannot provide a decent pharmacy for its people--.

What do you think of him?

19.1  Paul, you don't count.
19.2  Phil, neither do  you.
20.  If I made over 200,000 a year, I'd like a tax break.

Of course...if you lived in lack and limitation, that is.

If you lived in prosperity and abundance, you would be more likely to want
to bring up those in the most awful states imaginable but who are trying really
 hard to at least a certain base level.

20.1  If I didn't make over 200,00 a year, I'd like a tax break.

You might 'want' or 'like' one if you made more than 200,000 a year.   (esp
if you live in lack and limitation)  But, if you make less, it very  probably
is more of a 'need' than a 'want'.

There is a difference...
21.  I just got another G.S.T  cheque.
Is that a good thing?
21.1  Yes, that's c-h-e-q-u-e.
I'm gathering it is a good thing.
22.  Why aren't I out?
Hm...
22.1  I have to take the parental units to the airport in the  morning.
Well, there you are.  That explains that!
23.  Guess  what?
Please, don't keep us in suspense!

23.1  I HAVE A PLAN.
Will you share it,  though?

Take care, fellow citizen of The Universe,

Marlena in Missouri