[lit-ideas] Re: Take that, Monty Python

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 19:35:26 +0100 (BST)

Wittgenstein's performance in that skit is particularly memorable [it's not an
inter-planetary match, btw, except in the sense that when most philosopher's
speak a normal response is "Sorry, I'm wanted back on planet earth"] and
exemplifies W's view that skill on the ball is the same in any language, and is
something that cannot be said but can only be shown.*

[Murray's performance and that of the winners last night has rightly swept from
view the penalty shoot-out debacle that ended Team GB's hopes in soccer. Will
they ever learn?]

*Stop me if you've heard this one before..