[lit-ideas] Re: It has just come to my attention...

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 15:36:57 -0700

I expect many losses in aerial dogfights on the sides of those who
are no longer able to say, 'Maverick, there's a Mig at 11 o'clock!

I've, oddly perhaps, thought about this more than once.  A clock face
makes the mathematical concepts half and quarter so obvious.  Surely
this dawning comes much later if you're telling time by reading numbers.
  A small loss, perhaps, but a loss..........

On 2012-08-01, at 4:58 PM, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

...that apparently telling time on an analog face clock is as much a
dying art as reading cursive.  I have an 8 year old student who is
/very/ bright, very precocious, who just finished reading Watership
Down for fun.  In her piano lesson I told her to follow the circle of
fifth's clockwise for sharps, and counter-clockwise for flats.  In
response to her baffled look, I asked if she knew what clockwise and
counter-clockwise meant.  No...  I drew her a clock face with the
numerals on it.  Oh!  Comprehension dawned.  "We have those in all the
rooms in our school!"  "Do they teach you how to tell time?"  "No...I
know how to tell time from clocks like that (pointing to a digital
clock on my desk)...".

Julie Krueger
feeling very obsolete