[lit-ideas] It has just come to my attention...

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:58:34 -0500

...that apparently telling time on an analog face clock is as much a dying
art as reading cursive.  I have an 8 year old student who is *very* bright,
very precocious, who just finished reading Watership Down for fun.  In her
piano lesson I told her to follow the circle of fifth's clockwise for
sharps, and counter-clockwise for flats.  In response to her baffled look,
I asked if she knew what clockwise and counter-clockwise meant.  No...  I
drew her a clock face with the numerals on it.  Oh!  Comprehension dawned.
 "We have those in all the rooms in our school!"  "Do they teach you how to
tell time?"  "No...I know how to tell time from clocks like that (pointing
to a digital clock on my desk)...".

Julie Krueger
feeling very obsolete