[lit-ideas] Sweet Georgia Brown

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:35:01 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2009 5:27:01 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
To me it's a word like  "Frogs," to be used only when it's clear you
mean no  harm.

David Ritchie,
loving the frogs in

---

Unless you  do mean harm.

There was a discussion in a philosophy forum recenty, and  one African
American philosopher residing in Germany wrote a letter to a  newspaper saying,

"You may not call me  African-American"
"You may not call me a 'woman  philosopher'"

etc. -- it's a long letter and available online. Her name  is Piper.

In any case, it struck me that while she has obviously a right  not be
wanted to be called this or that, people _may_, in the epistemic sense.  And
it's not always easy to say that 'pejoration' is involved.

I think  labels like those work best when self-used. Thus, a pejorative
term is not  pejorative when used by someone to self-label. But people will
bring in the  issue of 'internalised self-loathing'.

Oddly, Rupert Everett, who has  done a terrible thing to his face, is said
online to have 'some obvious  self-loathing issues' to have done what he did
(He's playing "Blithe Spirit" on  Broadway's Shubert Theatre, along with
'legenday' Angela  Lounsbury).

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!