[lit-ideas] Pleonetetic

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:38:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2009 5:57:31 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
all been suffering  from "turbulence," which had a "strength and
ferocity" that "took most  people by surprise."
----

When I see words like 'most' (or  'demasiado' in Spanish) it gives me the
creeps.

Those terms ('most',  'few', 'a lot', 'too many', 'too few', etc.) are
almost _impossibly_ to  formalise logically.

Altham, following Geach, and only in Cambridge,  tried, in "Plural Logics".

The logic behind it is pretty complex and  subjective. It requires a
standard, or canon, and even then it's difficult to  ascribe a definite
'semantic'
interpretation.

Note that:

"A lot of  people attended Grice's lecture"

-- as it happened, I was told by someone  who witnessed his "John Locke
Lectures" at Oxford, 'the room, at Merton, was  almost empty'" Still I would
think, 'a lot' since it _was_ a difficult  topic.

On the other hand, 'a few people' attended that concept by that  cheap
singer, Madonna. What can you expect? (she filled Wembley).

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!