[lit-ideas] Re: De Generatione et Corruptione

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:30:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2009 5:17:18 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> For   Aristotle it's axiomatic: if you were generated (by your parents)
> you'll  be  corrupted. We all die of  corruption.

Brill.  I shall remember this next time  we are once again
"scandalized" corruption that has been "unearthed"  in high places,
which, when you think about it, is a bit of a  puzzler.

David Ritchie,
choosing between worms and ravens as recycling  agents
----

Well, thanks.

But I thought there was a 'phallasy'  (as Geary spells it) in my post the
second after I posted it.

For surely  most people _don't_ die of corruption of the flesh. Actually I
never met one  that did.

Borges's mother died at 99, so she was possibly starting to  'corrupt', or
'decompose' as Gilbert would say. But literally, people die  usually of
heart attacks, I was told.

I think Aristotle was into  something, and it would do to be reminded what
terms he used for 'generation'  and 'corruption' in Greek.

Yes, it's the way of all flesh.

Talking  of worms, I was listening to a classical music radio programme
today, and the  person said, "Today we'll stick with 'sticky tunes'; there is a
German  expression for that, 'Ear worms', worms that get in your ear. He
then played  some easy listening waltzes.

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!