[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons - and mowing - technology...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:47:32 EST

Well done!

Ecclesiastes is my favourite book in the Tanach....when I am thoroughly
depressed I read it all in one reading.  It lifts me up and gives my  peace.
Too
bad it's not talked about more in religious circles.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of
weapons - and mowing -  technology...  Date: 11/21/2006 4:32:44 A.M. Central
Standard Time  From: _bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

On 21. Nov 2006, at 07:20, Julie Krueger  wrote:

> ... trying to remember how weapons technology morphed into  mowing
> gadgets...

" ... and they shall beat their swords into  plowshares,
and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not
lift up a  sword against nation, neither shall they learn
war any more."  (KJV,  Isaiah 2:4)

Well 'pruninghooks' as a 'mowing gadgets' is a bit of a  longshot, but
my _Strong's Exhaustive Concordance_ (Old Time Gospel Hour  edition,
with the facsimile of Jerry Falwell's signature gracing the  Foreword,
no less) gives the Hebrew word for pruninghook as 'mazmerah',  which is
derived from 'zamar': 'to trim' - close enough, I  think.

(Erin - I don't know if I should trust a book bearing such a  signature;
help me out with my 'fading' Hebrew. ['Fading' - what a  euphemism; it's
been over 20 years, and these days I can barely recite the  'aleph-beth'
....])

On the other hand, isn't there some abominable  weapon that bears the
name 'daisy cutter'?

And then there's the  'ob-verse' of that beautiful passage from Isaiah:

"Beat your plowshares  into swords and your
pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say,
I am  strong."  (KJV, Joel 3:10)

(Hmmm - I wonder if anyone else has ever  noticed that 'to every thing
there is a season' in that book  ....)

Chris Bruce
waxing dialectical, in
Kiel,  Germany