[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of weapons - and mowing - technology...

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:10:05 +0100

On 21. Nov 2006, at 07:20, Julie Krueger wrote:

... trying to remember how weapons technology morphed into mowing gadgets...

" ... and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not
lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn
war any more."  (KJV, Isaiah 2:4)

Well 'pruninghooks' as a 'mowing gadgets' is a bit of a longshot, but my _Strong's Exhaustive Concordance_ (Old Time Gospel Hour edition, with the facsimile of Jerry Falwell's signature gracing the Foreword, no less) gives the Hebrew word for pruninghook as 'mazmerah', which is derived from 'zamar': 'to trim' - close enough, I think.

(Erin - I don't know if I should trust a book bearing such a signature; help me out with my 'fading' Hebrew. ['Fading' - what a euphemism; it's been over 20 years, and these days I can barely recite the 'aleph-beth' ....])

On the other hand, isn't there some abominable weapon that bears the name 'daisy cutter'?

And then there's the 'ob-verse' of that beautiful passage from Isaiah:

"Beat your plowshares into swords and your
pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say,
I am strong."  (KJV, Joel 3:10)

(Hmmm - I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed that 'to every thing there is a season' in that book ....)

Chris Bruce
waxing dialectical, in
Kiel, Germany