[lit-ideas] Sidenote on the Forest Service's fiscal priorities

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:00:40 EST

SIDENOTE: Here's a thought from the Missouri Coalition for the  Environment:
"Perhaps most disconcerting is the Forest Serviceâs overall emphasis on
commercial logging. Most of the forest is open to commercial logging, and the
Forest Service insists on primarily using even aged management, such as
clearcuts. While the Forest Service stopped accounting for losses incurred in
commercial timber sales, a new report by the John Muir Project shows the Forest

Service, nationally, losing $6.7 billion between fiscal years 1997 and 2004.
This
is an average of $835.5 million per year subsidizing commercial logging on
public lands. While there are no clear numbers for the Mark Twain, it is known
that the Forest loses a large sum of taxpayer money each year on commercial
timber sales on the Forest."
Maybe if our US Forest Service was not subsidizing logging companies
(corporate welfare again?), we wouldn't need to sell our  forests...