[lit-ideas] Re: Senses should not be multiplied beyond necessity

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 06:37:36 +0200

Well, lets see...splitting an atom could devastate a mid-sized city like
Hiroshima.Splitting an atomic fact could not do that, as far as I know.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza for DMARC <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 9/14/2015 3:45:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes: The test of whether the senses should be
multiplied or
not is whether a sentence could come true in one sense and false in
another.

Perhaps you can give us an example. Kilgariff went further than Grice, "I
don't believe in senses!", he would say.

Ritchie's example

A: And what is your name?
B: Patsy.
A: Oh excellent. We're always happy to welcome a patsy.

precisely TRADES on 'patsy' have just ONE sense ("Patsy Bolivar", in fact),
_pace_ Frege who naïvely (and wrongly, and oddly for a man called Gottlob)
thought that proper names have no sense, only denotatum.

Cheers,

Speranza