[lit-ideas] Re: Senses should not be multiplied beyond necessity

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 21:45:37 +0200

The test of whether the senses should be multiplied or not is whether a
sentence could come true in one sense and false in another.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:47 PM, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sep 13, 2015, at 5:55 PM, (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for
DMARC) wrote:

In a message dated 9/13/2015 3:29:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A: And what is your name?
B: Patsy.
A: Oh excellent. We're always happy to welcome a patsy.

[snip]
Grice's point:

If 'patsy' meaning 'fool' derives from "Patsy Bolivar" and "Patsy" is
hypocorism for "patricius' we would have ONE sense; if it doesn't we
wouldn't.

I am amused.

Thank you.

David Rtichie