[lit-ideas] Re: Science as Aesthetics?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 12:47:21 -0400

JLS: I'm just not sure if we want to say of this that
it constitutes an 'aesthetic' if by that we are going to understand
_another_  science, this time of _beauty_.

Dr. Witten, one of the great physicists working in superstring theory, contends that it must be true *because* the mathematics is too beautiful not to be true. On the other hand, it is an *untestable* theory. It is like the Zahir in Borges, a map of the world that replaces the world, leaving one to wonder which is the world and which is the Zahir.

If beauty is the criteria of (this) scientific truth (i.e., a theory of "everything") then what is Witten trading here? Mathematical aesthetics? After all, science requires verification and superstring cannot be verified because we cannot build a 1,000 light-year wide superconducting supercollider. Even the measly, pint-sized supercollider was defeated by Congress in 1993.