[lit-ideas] Re: Science as Aesthetics?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 19:37:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2009 4:30:51 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
doesn't that make physics
-- or superstring physics anyway -- a branch of
aesthetics?

--- Nide gesture, ... coming from a poet!

I want to be the nasty philosopher here and query, query, query...

In the torture of my education, I had to undergo if that's the word _two_
seminars in aesthetics: neither the professor seemed to have an idea of what
he  was talking about, although I fell in love with the _second_ professor.

Anyway, 'aesthetics', I found ("Aisthetik", I think is the German spelling)
 was coined by Baumgarten, I forget what for!

For the Greeks, though, and we discussed elsewhere this with R. Paul (vis a
 vis Sibley, once of Ithaca), it's all about _aisthesis_.

Apparently, consider

       (1) It's cold in here.
       (2) It's warm in here.
       (3) It's hot in here.
       (4) It's freezing in here.

All those are reports of _sensation_ (of one particular _sense_,  actually
-- see Urmson, The Object of the Five Senses). Baumgarten, I think, was
into (I've just coined this), 'kallologia', the science of 'to kallon', or
beauty. Beauty is a Latinate, artificial concept in English, best translated as
 'nice'.

       (5) It's nice in here.

Does _not_ report an aesthetic phenomenon, but what I call (to tease Yost)
a 'meta-aesthetic' phenomenon. For surely if the point of (5) is a
commentary on  the room temperature, I would understand it as being short for

       (6) If "It's warm in here"  then "It's nice in here"

                  one scare quote more or less.

-----

In other words, aesthetics, as understood by Baumgarten, but not the
Greeks, started with 'meta-sensational' properties:

      (7) Warmth is a pleasant, nice,  sensation.

The addition of 'pleasant' (Gk. 'hedone') makes for a complication I'm
always ready to buy.

In my scheme (followed by C. Lord in "A Gricean Account of Art", British
Journal of Aesthetics" -- and no, I'm not instilling Gricean formula on P.
Stone!) then:

      -- it's all about _pleasure_

and _a posteriori_

      -- all about niceties.

--- So, I buy the argument that 'the beauty in mathematics' is an ideal,
and even in string-theory. I'm just not sure if we want to say of this that
it  constitutes an 'aesthetic' if by that we are going to understand
_another_  science, this time of _beauty_.

Etc.

J. L. Speranza
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.