[lit-ideas] Re: School Daze/The Modern World

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:02:38 -0700

On Aug 29, 2007, at 5:25 PM, John McCreery wrote:

Hate to mention it, dear friend, but have you had your eyes checked?
Yes, and just got my first pair of bifocals. They don't make much difference in this instance. I'm with Judy on this; the LED screen is inferior but since no one is selling cathode ray tube ones, there is no alternative.

Even so, I also love the big screens,
Big is nice, especially when comparing one document with another. I haven't got to the stage yet of having *two* screens and moving documents from one screen to the next, but it's an impressive trick.

since now I can zoom in to 150%

This is fun too.

You might enjoy a purchase I made today at our library's used book table--the World Book Company's "Daily Use English-Chinese Dictionary." I can't find a publication date, but the owner inscribed it in 1960. It's the English which I'm enjoying (I have no understanding of Chinese). The book is full of phrases I have never uttered:

He is an author in whom there is much to admire.
I declined his offer but I cast (or threw) no reflection on him.
This is of the last importance.
The misfortune came of his deviation from Christianity.
They have the navy of eight thousand sail, with twelve thousand cannon.
It rained pitchforks.
Such a coat as is worn by foreigners.
I am tied for time.
His hands tremble from oversmoking.
There was no voluntary misstatement.

I think this may be the very same dictionary that my Red Guard roommate brought to Atlantic College in 1972. He certainly used to come out with equally odd phrases.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon