[lit-ideas] School Daze

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:08:50 -0500

My daughter just started 8th grade.

The primary school supply requirement is a binder w/ various compartments.

My daughter has such a thing.  With a small brief-case style handle and a
long shoulder strap.

The shoulder strap is obviously to make it easier to carry.  Helpful when
you're running up and down 3 flights of stairs with no a/c.

Many of the Jr. High kids own the same style binder.

In their infinite wisdom, the administration and teachers have decreed that
students not carry "bags" around with them.

Thus, the shoulder strap use is verboetten, and the binder must be carried
by the handle.  Having the strap over the shoulder causes the hall
monitoring teacher to yell at you "strap off, strap off", and if one starts
walking quickly because one does not want to be tardy to class, the teacher
will actually chase after.  Literally give chase.  My daughter has been
scrupulous about this rule, but she has witnessed what happens when it is
broken.

I ask my daughter why the handle and not the strap.

"Because we're not allowed to carry backpacks or bags and this way it isn't
a backpack, it's a binder."
"Ahhh.......!  Why aren't you allowed to carry backpacks or bags?"
"Because they said they don't want people carrying around things that could
be harmful."
"And taking the strap off your shoulder is going to change the contents of
your binder/bag???"

Julie Krueger
No Child Left Behind!!