[lit-ideas] Same Auld Song

  • From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:51:31 +0100

Wow, this sounds chillingly familiar.

?To the people of Iran,? Mr. Bush said in a UN speech, ?The United
States respects you. We respect your country. We admire your rich
history, your vibrant culture and your many contributions to
civilization.  You deserve an opportunity to determine your own future,
an economy that rewards your intelligence and your talents, and a
society that allows you to fulfill your tremendous potential,? Mr. Bush
said. ?The greatest obstacle to this future is that your rulers have
chosen to deny you liberty and to use your nation?s resources to fund
terrorism and fuel extremism and pursue nuclear weapons.? - 18th
September 06

*****

"We come to Iraq with respect for its citizens, for their great
civilization and for the religious faiths they practice. We have no
ambition in Iraq, except to remove a threat and restore control of that
country to its own people."

19 March 2003.

--
  Steve Chilson