[lit-ideas] Re: Saddam was... innocent?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:01:51 EST

<<degree to which  ideological commitments impair reading comprehension>>
I think it's alliteration crossed  with dyslexia -- I'm not sure yet -- but I
like it.  (Maybe its a new trope  waiting to be codified?)
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Saddam was...
innocent?  Date: 1/8/2007 12:02:11 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Ramos wrote:

"The trial was  still ongoing. The idea of 'declaring him guilty' on one item
and hanging him  before concluding the trial is a legal farce."

Read the article  again.  To help you, look for the following:

"The ex-dictator was  hanged after being found guilty in an earlier trial of
the killing of 148  Shia Muslims in the town of Dujail, but many Kurds were
disappointed that he  was executed before facing justice for his role in the
al-Anfal campaign,  which was numerically the most serious of his crimes and
one which drew  horror and revulsion around the world."

Note the reference to  'earlier trial'.  I am continually amazed at the
degree to which  ideological commitments impair reading  comprehension.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven,  NS