[lit-ideas] Re: Rortyana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 10:06:37 +0100

*I Am that I Am* (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה, *ehyeh ašer ehyeh* [ehˈje aˈʃer
ehˈje] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Hebrew>) is the common
English translation (JPS
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Publication_Society_of_America_Version>
among
others) of the response God <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God> used in
the Hebrew
Bible <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_Bible> when Moses
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses> asked for his name (Exodus
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Exodus> 3:14). It is one of the most
famous verses in the Torah <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah>. Hayah
means "existed" or "was" in Hebrew; "ehyeh" is the first person singular
imperfect form and is usually translated in English Bibles as "I will be"
(or "I shall be"), for example, at Exodus 3:14. *Ehyeh asher ehyeh*literally
translates as "I Will Be What I Will Be", with attendant theological and
mystical implications in Jewish tradition. However, in most English Bibles,
in particular the King James Version
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version>, this phrase is rendered
as *I am that I am*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_that_I_Am