[lit-ideas] Re: Related issues/Understanding Why Newton Contributed To Human Knowledge With A False Theory

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:14:45 +0000 (GMT)

RP writes in a spirit, afacs, of open debate. Without addressing his post
adequately, may I just say this for the time being:-

--- Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know. I'd like to understand the three worlds distinction
> better.

So would I.

>Is this right?tectonic plates exist in W1; the theory that their
> movement plays an important role in geological change in W2; and Smith's
> puzzlement over this theory in W3?

No. This is not, if I understand this correctly, right.

On P's theory:-

a. the actual material or physical existence of "tectonic plates" is a W1
fact, something that exists independent of any 'consciousness' [W2] or
'theory [W3] of this.

b. >the theory that their
> movement plays an important role in geological change in W2; and Smith's
> puzzlement over this theory in W3?>
is not P's view:- his view is (roughly) that once we invent such a "theory"
[which involves a W2 process] we also invent at the same time a "theory"
[which exists then also as a W3 object, with ramifications that may surpass
or transcend our W2 understanding].

In P's terms an "object" may exist at all three levels: that is, a score to
'The Magic Flute' may exist in W1 as notation on a script and perhaps also in
physically encoded memories etc.; also as W2 conscious mental states in so
far as we witness a performance or recall a performance; also in W3 as an
"object" that may be richer and deeper than any W1 or W2 version thus extant
[even though 'encoded' in W1 and W2 forms, and not previously existing before
these forms].

Donal

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good
http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/