[lit-ideas] Re: Related issues/Understanding Why Newton Contributed To Human Knowledge With A False Theory

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:49:58 +0000 (GMT)

--- Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is much homework for me to do in this thread, particularly in
> exploring why logic and maths might themselves be fallible.

This is a v.big issue (obviously) and links into other v.big issues. I don't
want a false debate - in particular, though I will probably take up a Popn.
POV for argument's sake, please don't think I'm here to get anyone to join a
version of the Moonies.

Unless I am mistaken, my feeling about Robert Paul's recent responses is that
he is on similar wavelength (by this, I don't suggest I have anything like
similar expertise, or that we agree) - because he sees this (potentially)
hits on fundamentals, and what could be more interesting than an [honest]
debate about that?

Being honest: I am no expert, my stuff is that of an interested amateur.
Yet..

First, among the things I am intrigued about Wittgenstein (and, yes, he and
his work is intriguing, and certainly has a "beauty") is his [alleged]
'anti-realism'. _In extremis_, 'anti-realism' says that "2+2=4" is true only
by some adopted convention - in another time, and another world, it might be
different. I am unsure W ever defended this thesis _in extremis_.

Palma talks of Popper's 'realism' (as opposed to 'anti-realism?') about maths
and logic. But a recurring point [and, of course, a questionable one] in
Popper's view of these things is this:-

a) the sequence of natural nos. did not exist before humans invented them;

b) once invented, that sequence contains consequences that exist whether or
not humans ever see them (e.g. 'odd and even nos.'; 'prime' nos.);

c) the exploration of "the seq. of nat. nos." [and its consequences] involves
a process that might be described as either one of 'discovery' or 'invention'
depending whether we emphasise the W3 'objective' aspects or the W2
'subjective' aspects.

Donal
Laters
Longtime