[lit-ideas] Re: Glory or time?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:21:59 -0600

RP:
>Meanwhile, an analysis of long bones found at
> Kato Zakro, 'a well known Minoan site' on the eastern shore of Crete,
> reveals that males in the population studied averaged 167 cm in height
> (a bit over 5' 5") and females 157.5 cm.

That's plenty tall.  Any taller is just a sinful waste of protoplasm.  For
example, Jesus, they speculate was about 5' 1".  If you're taller than that
then you can sing along:

      Taller Than Jesus
      © 2002 Sean Altman

           I'm not bragging - don't mean to blaspheme
            But Jesus was a short dude - at least compared to me

            The average guy at the time of Christ
            Was 4'9 to 5'5"
            I...I'm taller than Jesus
            I said I...I'm MUCH taller than Jesus

            He was long on love - but short of limb
            My tee-shirt is like a dress on him
            He could heal the sick and save your soul
            But he couldn't dunk a basketball
            I...I'm taller than Jesus
            I said I...I'm MUCH taller than Jesus

            Jesus walked on water
            Turned water into wine
            But if you need to change that
            light bulb
            Call me - I'm divine

            I was hanging with Christ - just guy to guy
            He was sitting on a phone book - we were eye to thigh

            He said "Hey Sean - what's it like up high?"
            I said "Hay-soos - you want a piggyback ride?"

            The Beatles claimed they were bigger than you
            Well I've the height on the Beatles too
            If genes determine the size of your bod
            Then my Dad must be taller than God
            I...I'm taller than Jesus
            I said I...I'm MUCH taller than Jesus...

                               ************

            Well, I'm only a little taller than Jesus.  But that's fine with
me.  Here's a partial list of right sized men folk who were/are as tall or less
so than me (from Famous People Height List)
            http://members.shaw.ca/harbord/heights3.html:

Napoleon Bonaparte 5'6-1/2"

Henry Winkler (the "Fonz" on tv's Happy Days) 5'6-1/2"

Woody Allen 5'6" [1.68 m]

Ludwig van Beethoven 5'6"

Peter Falk (of tv's "Columbo") 5'6"
Dustin Hoffman 5'6"

Cheech Marin 5'6"

John (Joseph) Merrick (the "Elephant Man", 1862-90) 5'6"

Marquis de Sade 5'6"

Joseph Stalin 5'6"

T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia) (British soldier and writer) 5'5-1/2"

Horatio Nelson (British naval hero) 5'5-1/2

Joel Grey 5'5"

Harry Houdini 5'5"

Curly Howard (of the Three Stooges) 5'5"

Hiroshito (Japanese emperor) 5'5"

Charles Manson 5'5"

Aristotle Onassis 5'5"

Joe Pesci 5'5"

Lou Reed 5'5"

George "Baby Face" Nelson (U.S. gangster) 5'4-3/4"

Alan Ladd 5'4-1/2"

Robert Blake (of tv's "Baretta") 5'4"

Mel Brooks 5'4"

Larry Fine (of the Three Stooges) 5'4"

Michael J. Fox 5'4"

Mo Howard (of the Three Stooges) 5'4"

James Madison (shortest US President) 5'4"

Gustav Mahler (Austrian composer) 5'4

Roman Polanski 5'4"

Pablo Picasso 5'4"

Haile Selassie (Ethiopian emperor) 5'4"

Sammy Davis Jr. 5'3"

King Hussein (of Jordan) 5'3"

Davey Jones (singer for the Monkees) 5'3"

Nikita Khrushchev 5'3"

Mickey Rooney 5'3"

Martin Scorsese 5'3"

Voltaire (Francois Marie Arouet, French writer) 5'3"

Prince 5'2-1/2"

Honore de Balzac (French writer) 5'2"

Buckminster Fuller (inventor of geodesic dome) 5'2"

Yuri Gagarin (Soviet cosmonaut) 5'2

Dudley Moore 5'2"

Paul Simon (of Simon and Garfunkel) 5'2"

Paul Williams (songwriter, actor) 5'2"

St. Francis of Assisi (Italian saint) 5'1"

John Keats (English Poet) 5'3/4"

Danny DeVito 5'0"

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (painter) 4'11"

Gary Coleman 4'8"

Alexander Pope (English poet) 4'6"

Charles Becker (mayor of Munchkinland-The Wizard of Oz) 3'9"

Randy Newman be damned.  If your legs reach the ground, you're tall enough,

Mike Geary

Memphis