[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy in China

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:14:25 +0900

On 4/29/06, Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

As much as everyone else's anecdotes, but probably a lot more.

Actually not. The anecdotes offered by Omar, Andreas and myself counter a familiar prejudice, that people with English (or other humanities) degrees are, ipso facto, helpless dreamers doomed in a marketplace that prefers "useful" knowledge. Your anecdote reinforces it. In information-theoretic terms ours add more information than yours.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter who chose to
major in English at the U.S. Naval Academy, a primarily science and
engineering school. I asked if this might damage her career. She said,
"No. The top general in the Marine Corps is an English major." So see,
business isn't the only area in which humanities BAs can excel.

Cheers,

John

--
John McCreery