[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:23:39 -0400

Ursula Stange writes:

: "Whenever I look inside myself, there is no self to be found."  Surely
: one of the most thought-provoking statements in philosophy.  Hume should
: sign-on, yes.  And we could do with a little Nietzsche, too.
: And if we're going to dig up 200 year-old ghosts, why not 2,000?  Surely
: Nietzsche will come, if we tell him Heraclitus is here.

That statement also lies at the core of Buddhist teachings, perhaps
especially with Zen, but you can legitimately extend your guest list
back 2,500 years and invite the historical Buddha.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu