[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophers and Programming Languages

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:59:47 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> Walter wrote
>
> > .........................In my professional life, I'm in contact with
> > professional and amateur philosophers across the world and I would be hard
> > pressed to delineate a "philosophy type" validly applicable to such a(n)
> > (het)erogenous crowd.
>
> Well, here are some paradigm cases
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ce8cfx
>
> Robert Paul

The woman in the photo bears an uncanny resemblance to my grandmother but I
cannot identify her. (Unless of course she is my granmother. In which case, have
I identified her?) Nor can I tell who the man is beside her. Could you enlighten
me, and perhaps others?

On the notion of "paradigm cases:"

I understand a paradigm to comprise a model, as did Tom Kuhn. But models are
not
discovered; they are constructed. Models of the "philosophy type" are
constructed, I would think, via an interpretation of what constitutes
distinctly philosophical life, work and achievement. On my view, philosophical
work in an academic sense is identified unequivocally by its transcendental
character. Others of course disagree, as we have witnessed on this list. I
recognize that my interpretation is a highly specific one - one that intends a
univocal conception of what philosophical analysis is about. But as someone
once said: "May a thousand flowers bloom." My simple claim is that any
philosophical work that provides no transcendental claims and arguments is
really something other than philosophy.

So, yes, much of, say, Aristotle's ethics is really naught but sociology or
anthropology.  But it remains the case that I would not deny that popular
conceptions of "the philosophy type" are not restricted by what I deem to be
necessary and formal features of philosophical analysis and the philosophical
life. On a cultural construal, what Ursula intends by "the philosophical type,"
I claim possesses very wide connotation. Much wider, certainly than is shown or
implied by the photo Robert provides.

Walter Okshevsky
MUN