[lit-ideas] Re: Pew Internet Report on Instant Messaging (IM)

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:29:23 -0400

Phil writes:  I dislike talking on the phone and so IM is convenient.

I hate the phone too, but rely on email. I block all IM and ICQ, not
only because of the annoying ads, but because it represents one more
security and privacy tunnel for code kiddies and their betters.

"Sam Spade" (freeware) can be a good hobby though. Tracing port scanners
is amusing. For a while it seemed that almost all port scanning was
coming from China, engineering schools in Beijing and the Chinese
Railroad system. An odd one or two from Egypt or San Francisco.

Now that seems to have stopped. Wonder what happened? Anyone else notice
this?