[lit-ideas] Re: Pew Internet Report on Instant Messaging (IM)

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:26:24 -0400

>I seriously doubt this. Asides from myself, I don't know anyone over the
>age of 32 who uses
>IM (and nearly all over the age of 32 don't even know what IM is).
>
>does anyone here use IM?
>
>i use IM fairly often, but it's not even 5% of my online communication.
>that's mostly email.
>IM works, but it's distracting. with email, one can do many things between
>the exchanges.
>
>IM is not really for business use: that's obvious because of the games and
>other features.
>i've turned all of that off.
>
>my YIM is argentina.

I have IM accounts with Yahoo, ICQ, AOL, and MSN. I am a few years passed
32, but I was an undernet IRC addict 10 years ago. You ARE right, it's not
very good for business. The only time I ever use any of them now is for
large file transfers (more than 10 mb) between friends or to meet someone
who lives a long distance phone call away.

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada