[lit-ideas] Re: Patria

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 00:57:47 -0500 (EST)

A running commentary of the link provided by D. R.

"A homeland (rel. country of origin and native land) is the concept of  the
place (cultural geography) to which an ethnic group holds a long history
and  a deep cultural association with —the country in which a particular
national  identity began."

I seem to feel that 'land' is otiose there: "home" seems to just do.

"As a common noun, it simply connotes the country of one's origin. When
used as a proper noun, the word, as well as its equivalents in other languages
 often have ethnic nationalist connotations."

I think Strawson considers this: 'congress' becomes "Congress". I don't
think that "Homeland" with capital C is a proper proper noun, like "Sally (in
our Alley)". It is still a common noun somewhat used properly  (improperly).

"A homeland may also be referred to as a fatherland, a motherland, or a
mother country, depending on the culture and language of the nationality in
question."

But we've seen the Romans only used 'patria' (never 'matria') and that
fatherland (in English) predates "motherland".

"Motherland may refer to a mother country, i.e. the place of one's  birth,
the place of origin of an ethnic group or immigrant, or a Metropole in
contrast to its colonies."

"mother country" may be distinguished from an expression like "mother
tongue", where "mother" is said to be the old Anglo-Saxon genitive.

"Russians commonly refer to Mother Russia as a personification of their
nation."

This is still different: "Mother England" -- cfr. "Father England" sounds
wrong. "Mother Britain" sounds clumsy.

"Many Russians around the world refer to Russia as their motherland."

"The French commonly refer to "la mère Patrie" as France."

Or simply, "la patrie". Note that by adding "mère" there seems to be  a
clash with some binary thinking. (How can the land be mother AND  father?).

"Latin Americans, too, commonly refer to "la Madre Patria" as Spain, but
currently without any ideological meaning", which is the most dangerous of
the  ideological meanings.

"Fatherland is the nation of one's "fathers" or "forefathers". It can  be
viewed as a nationalist concept, insofar as it relates to nations."

And it can be viewed as ridiculous seeing that only can have ONE  father --
hence the otiosity of "one's fathers".

"The term  fatherland (Vaterland) is used throughout German-speaking
Europe, as well as in  Dutch."

"For example, "Wien Neêrlands Bloed", national anthem of the Netherlands
between 1815 and 1932, makes extensive and conspicuous use of the parallel
Dutch  word.", but the title appears to refer to wine and blood.

"Because of the use of Vaterland in German war propaganda, the term
"Fatherland" in English has become associated with domestic British and
American
anti-Nazi propaganda during World War II."

cfr. "My country 'tis of thee

"Land where my fathers died" (invoking the Griceian question, "And how many
 fathers do you have, if I may know?" "So you are what I may call a
multiple  orphan?").

Terms equating "Fatherland" in Germanic  languages:
Afrikaans Vaderland
Danish fædreland
Dutch  vaderland
Frisian heitelân --- where the root seems to be different.  Oddly, I love
Frisian: As someone said, "Bread, butter, and green cheese, is  very good
English and very good Friese".
German  Vaterland
Icelandic föðurland
Norwegian  fedreland
Swedish fäderneslandet (besides the more common  fosterlandet)

"A corresponding term is sometimes used in Slavic  languages, in Serbian is
otadžbina or отаџбина in Serbian Cyrillic alphabet,  Macedonian
татковина (tatkovina), Bulgarian татковина (tatkovina) as well as
otechestvo, Czech otčina (although the normal Czech term for "homeland" is
vlast),
in Polish ojczyzna (besides macierz "motherland"), Russian otechestvo  (
отечество) or otchizna (отчизна) (although rodina "motherland" is more
common)."

"In Latin America a common way to refer to one's country  is "Patria" which
has the same connotation as Fatherland, that is, the nation of  our
parents/fathers (in Spanish Padres or Papas)."

Note that 'fathers' is literally odd. But 'parents' is a Latinate
expression, rather than Anglo-Saxon. I wonder if the Anglo-Saxons had a word to

refer to 'mother and father' before the Normans brought in "parents". Cfr. the
Italian concept of 'pro-genitor', which is kind of cute.

"Curiously, Spain is usually referred to as la Madre Patria (the Motherland
 of our forefathers)", which invokes the same oxymoronic tendency of the
French and their "la mère Patrie".

"The Soviet Union created homelands for some minorities in the 1920s,
including the Volga German ASSR and the Jewish Autonomous Oblast. In the case
of
 the Volga German ASSR, these homelands were later abolished and their
inhabitants deported to either Siberia or the Kazakh SSR. In the case of the
Jewish Autonomous Oblast this was not necessary, since it had been created
from  the start at the far-Eastern end of Siberia, where no Jew had ever
lived."

" In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security"

rather than Motherland Security, of Fatherland Security -- "was created
soon after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, as a means to centralize
 response to various threats."

"In a June 2002 column, Republican consultant and speechwriter Peggy Noonan
 expressed the hope that the Bush administration would change the name of
the  department, writing that, "The name Homeland Security grates on a lot of
people,  understandably. Homeland isn't really an American word, it's not
something we  used to say or say now""

But there's like an odd implicature to

The Department of Fatherland Security

The Department of Motherland Security

--- Still, the disimplicature of "The Department of Home Security" may  be
invoked.

"In the apartheid era in South Africa, the concept was given a different
meaning. The white government had designated approximately 13% of its
territory  for black tribal settlement. Whites and other non-blacks were
restricted
from  owning land or settling in those areas. After 1948 they were
gradually granted  an increasing level of "home-rule". From 1976 several of
these
regions were  granted independence. Four of them were declared independent
nations by South  Africa, but were unrecognized as independent countries by any
other nation  besides each other and South Africa. The territories set
aside for the African  inhabitants were also known as bantustans."

" In Australia, the term refers to relatively small Aboriginal  settlements
(referred to also as 'Outstations') where people with close kinship  ties
share lands significant to them for cultural reasons. Many  such HOMELANDS
are found across Western Australia, the Northern Territory  and Queensland.
The 'homeland movement' gained momentum in the 1970s. It is  estimated that
homeland numbers range around 500 to 700, with not all homelands  being
permanently occupied owing to seasonal or cultural reasons."

"In Turkish homeland, especially in the patriotic sense is "ana yurt"
(motherland) while "baba ocağı" (father's home) is used for one's hometown and
practically means the house of one's parents where s/he grew up.

---- Although the idea of a hometown is complex. What about homevillage?
Not all parents live in 'towns'. Again, 'home' simpliciter seems to do.

"I'm going home".

Note the implicature: "I'm going to my home".

Incidentally, a favourite ballad of mine (Great War) is "Homing" (Teresa
del Riego) that does it even better than 'going home'.

Note that "Home" is such a common place name in England that Birmingham is
BirmingHOME, and Hamsptead is HOME-stead, and HAMPshire is HOMEshire. Not
to  mention the HOME countes ("A cat is what makes a house a home (county).")

"(Note: The Turkish word "ocak" has the double meaning of home and
fireplace, like the Spanish "hogar".)"

 And note that "Home, Sweet Home", the song, NEVER features those  words, b
ut rather:

Home, home, sweet sweet home, there's no place like home, there's no place
like home.

In Privates of Parade, Flanagan and Allen sing of

never more roam
from the hearth of home sweet home.

See also
Diaspora politics