[lit-ideas] Re: On Unbending

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 22:31:55 -0700

Julie, the famous yoga columnist was to teach a workshop on tight ham
strings.
Potential champion in this category, yours truly signed up in May for this
event.
Soon to be revealed, I thought, would be the trick of stretching the yew
bows
in my legs, weapons that most yoga students surrender earlier than I.
Well
I went along and found that tight to others meant sticking legs only on chairs not window
sills,
whereas my current straight leg working condition is inches off the ground and, if leaning forward slightly,
screaming.

Julie had four male assistants whose job it was to respond to her every command
but
she could think of few; indeed it seemed that she had not even learned
strangely,
that when answering a question, teachers should ask whether the answer proposed addresses the
nub,
which in once instance, it no more did than fish
shot
in a barrel can tell you much about Aristotle and the mob and so
on,
which shows what? That even those who can touch their toes, also need
stretch,
and that Mr. Flexible here is right up on
point
with the least limber in lumber land.

David Ritchie, Portland, Oregon