[lit-ideas] Re: Erin (and Ursula) in Scotland...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:50:44 -0400

I was in Scotland two years ago (are you following me around, Erin??) and my overwhelming impression is of green. Mossy driveways, mossy handrails, mossy bridges, mossy buildings...even the north sides of trees were mossy. That and the deep-fried everything. Little bakeries had lovely little sandwiches, but every fast food place had food of only one colour. The Scots knew what was what by the various shapes, but I had to ask: what's that round, breaded, deep-fried thing? Why, that's a hamburger, silly girl. And just yesterday, I was looking at the wikipedia article on pizza (for ideas about a pizza that wasn't red) and found a list of preferred pizza ingredients in various countries. Fascinating. My favourite entry was for Scotland: take a frozen pizza, dip it in batter and deep fry it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Speaking of pizza, While Erin was in Berlin, I had moved on to Avignon and our little 2-star hotel (with a lovely garden just outside the old city walls) offered room delivery of pizza...from Domino's pizza, just like at home. We were amused but declined...

Ursula, wondering what others put on their pizzas when they're not feeling red...

Erin Holder wrote:

And by that I mean Stirling is pretty, not the library (although the library isn't bad). I've revamped my career plans. I think I'm gonna get some sheep and move to the Isle of Skye.
kinda wanting her own bed and shower,
Erin
Stirling

Quoting Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I was there six days ago.  Missed you by a sliver!
I'm in Stirling, Scotland now, at the public library (wha?)
Very pretty here
Erin

Quoting Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Yes...Berlin is great. I was there for the first time just 10 days ago (sandwiched between Paris and Riga).
Great food. Great wine. Great people. Great people watching. Great museums -- although I missed the Kathe Kollwitz...damn. More great museums. Great modern architecture. Great fusion of past and future.
Great...Great...Great...

I don't want to start school tomorrow. Take me back to Berlin...
Ursula