[lit-ideas] Re: On Studying History

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:33:37 -0700

Judy,

Do you ever discuss main arguments?  If you read the books I am discussing
you wouldn't be interesting in quibbling about their authors abilities to
write history.  Of course I disagree with what they've written, but their
works are works of history.  This is like quibbling about whether someone
who writes from a Marxist perspective, subscribes to Marxist philosophy or
believes in Marxist ideology is a Marxist.

Read Orientalism.  It is the historical work I'm talking about.  It was
written by Edward Said.  It is a work of history.  Everyone who reads it
knows that.  Pardon me if I call the writer of one of the most influential
works of history in the 20th century an historian.  People who list the
attributes of Edward Said will include "historian."  See for example
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1905422040

Read The Islamic Threat, Myth or Reality.  It was written by John Esposito.
It is a work of history.  Everyone who reads it knows that.  Pardon me if I
call the writer of one of the most influential works on Islam in English
prior to 9/11 an historian.
<http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1905422040>
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1905422040 which
includes the description of Esposito who  "Offers a valuable history of the
leading figures and movements in the 20th century Islamic revival,
underlining the trend in recent years away from violence and toward
parliamentary practices."--The New York Times.  Not so many people are
willing to say that after 9/11 however.

I am just finishing James Bowman's Honor, a History.  I shall very likely
refer to Bowman in the future as an historian.  He did his research and
wrote a very powerful work of history.

Must rush off and feed my dogs.  No more time to research these well known
facts; which incidentally don't pertain to my main discussion, but then such
quibbles rarely do, do they?

Lawrence