[lit-ideas] Re: Olivier Roy, Daniel Pipes and Oriana Fallaci

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:23:16 -0500

>>Of course someone issued a fatwa calling for her death after she wrote The Rage and the Pride.

Ever since Rushdie, I've wondered why the world is so complacent about Death Fatwas.

Maybe the US (and/or the UN) should adopt a Counter-Fatwa Policy? If some Empowered Knucklehead issues a Death Fatwa, maybe we should immediately issue an international warrant for that knucklehead's arrest for making terroristic threats?

(I mean, if I'm not a Muslim cleric and if I offer money to have someone killed, I would expect NYPD to come knocking.)

Or better, though infinitely less likely, a reciprocation policy. If some Empowered Knucklehead issues a Death Fatwa, maybe we should immediately put that person on a Kill or Capture List, so they wind up in a body bag or in Gitmo.

>>She was in New York within walking distance of the Twin Towers on 9/11

Yeah, a sight like that is worth any amount of theory or abstract good intentions.