[lit-ideas] Re: Olivier Roy, Daniel Pipes and Oriana Fallaci

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:38:30 -0500

It would be like blaming Christianity for the Inquisition, for witch
burning, even for the death of Christopher Marlowe.  The problem isn't the
religion; the problem is that the religion is co-opted as an excuse to hate
women.  Picture (as an experiment) hating men instead of women, treating
all Muslim men as nonentities, forcing them to cover their faces,
controlling every move they make, keeping them illiterate, then giving
these hated, illiterate, nonentity men the job of raising Muslim children.
How long until a civilization bogs down in "rootlessness" and "discontent"
in its youth?  Unfortunately, the West is making matters worse by waging
war and spreading more fear and chaos, thereby increasing the need for
control over these poor women (when one feels out of control, one looks to
control what one can).  I don't know what the answer is.  Do you have any
ideas?  Do you think I'm wrong?  Do you think essentially enslaving half
the population while tasking it with raising future generations isn't
necessarily bad for a culture?