[lit-ideas] Obsolete

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 22:02:40 -0800

JL,

I got into a debate on an Olympus camera site over the meaning of the word
"obsolete."  My opponent (he is from Helsinki and lives in London) referred
to the Online OED which says, according to him, "that which is no longer
produced or used."  He concludes that Olympus DSLR cameras that are no
longer in production are obsolete.

I referred to my 1971 copy of the OED which says, "that which is no longer
practiced or used," and argued that since all the DSLRs produced since the
E-1 in 2003 are still in use and performing as they were designed to perform
and taking photos as good as any dslr still in production, they are not
obsolete.

He then declared my copy of the OED obsolete.

Without getting into the whole argument, I'd like to hear your theory on why
the Online OED would be different from my 1971 edition on this definition?
Why would "practiced" be replaced by "produced"?

Lawrence