[lit-ideas] Euclid's Shadow

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 03:03:15 -0500

It's fading faster than I had imagined it could, this shadow of
Euclid. The need to arrange definitions, postulates, and axioms --to
model reasons in the style of geometric proofs -- is obvious in
Spinoza and the US Declaration of Independence. It's in FDR's
declaration of war speech.

Now we have snark and carefully crafted hate speech disguised as
political commentary.

A professor once remarked that post-structuralism was the return of
the Sophist Gorgias after being knocked out for two thousand years
by Plato and Christianity. Makes more sense than ever. Let all who
are ignorant of geometry enter here...