[lit-ideas] Re: Obama's religion

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:03:44 +0100

Yes.

"After days of largely ignoring the media blitz his former pastor has waged, Barack Obama reversed course and denounced the Rev. Jeremiah Wright in the strongest and most direct terms yet on Tuesday. It was a decision that may help him reclaim some of the initiative in a tight presidential primary contest, but it is not without risks.

The decision to specifically address Wright’s controversial statements came after the campaign maintained for days that Obama had said all he had to say on the subject - a sign that there has been growing concern that the controversy was damaging his candidacy. The result was not just a denunciation of Wright’s comments, but of the man who attracted Obama into the Trinity United Church of Christ, married him and baptized his children."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/politics/main4056166.shtml

(It may be npr was reporting an earlier speech by Obama, the clip you posted was so brief, I couldn't tell.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Obama's religion
To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, 14 September, 2008, 9:10 PM
Marlena is critical of Palin's religion.  Let's look
a little closer at
Obama's

This is an article on Obama's religion by Christina
Corbin:

Here are some quotes:

"Obama has written and spoken about being inspired by
the preaching of the
Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., and his calls to "spur
social change." The title
of Obama's second book, "The Audacity of
Hope," which essentially launched
his presidential bid, was taken from a sermon by Wright.

"Baptized in Wright's Trinity United Church of
Christ, Obama has been an
active member for two decades, regularly attending services
with his family
under Wright's spiritual mentorship.

"Some of Wright's sermons, which often address
themes of white supremacy and
black repression, have come under scrutiny by those who
interpret them as
racially divisive. Such preaching, they believe, polarizes
Americans rather
than unites them."

"Wright's preaching does promote a sort of racial
exclusivity," said Michael
Cromartie, vice president of the
<http://www.eppc.org/> Ethics and Public
Policy Center in Washington.

"Statements that suggest you cannot truly understand
God unless you are
black or poor are exclusive."

Remarks attributed to Wright that were posted on audio
files on the Internet
and cited in press accounts earlier this year may have
prompted the
criticism.

"Fact number one: We've got more black men in
prison than there are in
college.

"Fact number two: Racism is how this country was
founded and how this
country is still run.

"We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the
exporting of guns and
the training of professional killers. ... We believe in
white supremacy and
black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in
God. ... We
conducted radiation experiments on our own people. ... We
care nothing about
human life if the ends justify the means.

"And ... And ... And! God! Has got! To be sick! Of
this s***!"

Now let's listen to the Reverend Wright himself:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfNEfEBYIZs>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfNEfEBYIZs

Let's listen to Wright defend Obama and attack Hillary:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc&feature=related

Look back at the line telling you how long Obama has been
listening to this
stuff: two decades.

Lawrence Helm