[lit-ideas] Obama's religion

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:10:13 -0700

Marlena is critical of Palin's religion.  Let's look a little closer at
Obama's

This is an article on Obama's religion by Christina Corbin:

Here are some quotes:

"Obama has written and spoken about being inspired by the preaching of the
Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., and his calls to "spur social change." The title
of Obama's second book, "The Audacity of Hope," which essentially launched
his presidential bid, was taken from a sermon by Wright.

"Baptized in Wright's Trinity United Church of Christ, Obama has been an
active member for two decades, regularly attending services with his family
under Wright's spiritual mentorship.

"Some of Wright's sermons, which often address themes of white supremacy and
black repression, have come under scrutiny by those who interpret them as
racially divisive. Such preaching, they believe, polarizes Americans rather
than unites them."

"Wright's preaching does promote a sort of racial exclusivity," said Michael
Cromartie, vice president of the  <http://www.eppc.org/> Ethics and Public
Policy Center in Washington.

"Statements that suggest you cannot truly understand God unless you are
black or poor are exclusive."

Remarks attributed to Wright that were posted on audio files on the Internet
and cited in press accounts earlier this year may have prompted the
criticism.

"Fact number one: We've got more black men in prison than there are in
college.

"Fact number two: Racism is how this country was founded and how this
country is still run.

"We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns and
the training of professional killers. ... We believe in white supremacy and
black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God. ... We
conducted radiation experiments on our own people. ... We care nothing about
human life if the ends justify the means.

"And ... And ... And! God! Has got! To be sick! Of this s***!"

Now let's listen to the Reverend Wright himself:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfNEfEBYIZs>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfNEfEBYIZs

Let's listen to Wright defend Obama and attack Hillary:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc&feature=related

Look back at the line telling you how long Obama has been listening to this
stuff: two decades.

Lawrence Helm