[lit-ideas] Re: (No References, etc.)

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:48:25 -0700 (PDT)

It would be nice if we didn't have slavery in our
recent past, but we did.  It would be nice if we
didn't have carpetbaggers and reconstruction, but we
did.  It would be nice if we did more than give lip
service to that line that all men are created equal,
but we don't.  We created our history and wish it were
otherwise.

It would also be nice if as 5% of the world's
population we didn't use 25% of the world's oil, but
we do.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/133994&GT1=43001

--- Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, but I did get you to argue, in support of
> John's hypothesis of argument culture.
>
> You give anti-US stuff like, "It kept African
> Americans in slavery for two hundred years and in
> economic thrall for another hundred years..."
> which is partially true, although it ignores the
> Islamic Slave trade, which began much earlier and
> carried equally many slaves through the Indian
> Ocean and trans-Saharan slave routes. (The
> difference being that the Europeans enslaved the
> same amount of humans in shorter time.) It also
> ignores defining "economic thrall," as though that
> were some special privilege of African-Americans.
>
> Yet it does go to the point of passionate argument
> culture. Neither Mike or I are strangers to it.
>
> EY

> vacation on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
> www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html