[lit-ideas] Re: (No References, etc.)

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:32:27 -0400

Yes, but I did get you to argue, in support of John's hypothesis of argument culture.

You give anti-US stuff like, "It kept African Americans in slavery for two hundred years and in economic thrall for another hundred years..." which is partially true, although it ignores the Islamic Slave trade, which began much earlier and carried equally many slaves through the Indian Ocean and trans-Saharan slave routes. (The difference being that the Europeans enslaved the same amount of humans in shorter time.) It also ignores defining "economic thrall," as though that were some special privilege of African-Americans.

Yet it does go to the point of passionate argument culture. Neither Mike or I are strangers to it.

EY