[lit-ideas] Re: Neoconservatism replaced by Realpolitik

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:26:44 +0000

What you're saying, Andreas, isn't true.  Make an accusation and see what
happens, is that the idea?  You're laughing at your own joke.  If you could
stop laughing long enough to think, you would recall attacking me several times
over the years for believing in Samuel P. Huntington's Clash of Civilization
position -- which is directly opposed to the Neocon approach.  You can't have
it both ways.  It is not possible for me to support the Neocon position and the
Huntington position at the same time.  In actual fact I have supported neither.
 In note after note I have compared the two approaches, Huntington vs Fukuyama,
but have come down on neither side.  I do recall saying that I could wish that
Fukuyama were right, but said in the same sentence or one right next to it that
Huntington's view had more evidence to support it.

And you insist on continuing to build upon your taunt rather than read the
material you are ostensibly discussing; which disproves your taunt.  If we
assume that virtually all of the Middle East is radicalized (you may recall
that I doubted that there were any Moderates there to speak of), then if we are
going to apply realpolitik we are going to have to support some of them if we
intend to get them to fight each other.

Note that your comment was that "the Bush White House is now arming al
Quaeda-affliated jihadi groups."  I did say that didn't sound plausible.  You
provided no context, and I couldn't imagine any that made any sense, but then I
read the article (which you apparently didn't) and learned of Hersh's context.
He doesn't say quite what you say.  Here is what Hersh wrote: "American,
European, and Arab officials I spoke to told me that the Siniora goernment and
its allies had allowed some aid to end up in the hands of emerging Sunni
radical groups in northern Lebanon, the Bekaa Valley, and around Palestinian
refugee camps in the south.  These groups, though small, are seen as a buffer
to Hezbollah; at the same time, their ideological ties are with Al Qaeda."

Have you learned nothing from all the notes I've written (a rhetorical
question)?  The "ideological ties" statement means what to you, Andreas?
Quick!   It means the teachings of Sayyid Qutb.  It means Islamic
Fundamentalism.  How many in the Islamic World share these ideological ties
with Al Qaeda?  The estimate I've heard most often is 300,000,000.  Osama bin
Laden studied under Sayyid Qutb's brother Mohammad Qutb.  The ideology Hersh
sloppily aludes to is Islamism.

But notice what the Lebanese Opinion Writers says: "The Fatah al-Islam story is
based entirely on a quote by one alistair Crooke, a former MI6 agent, who, we
learn, 'was told' that weapons were offered to the group, 'resumably to take on
Hezbollah.'  The passage on Esbat al-Ansar is not even sourced.

"The Fatah al-islam story is instructive, because it shows a recurring flaw in
hersh's reporting, namely his investigative paralysis when it comes to Syria.
In articles past, Hersh has acted as a conduit for those defending the
post-9/11 intelligence collaboration between the U.S. and Syria, and lamenting
the Bush administration's subsequent isolation of Damascus in the run-up to and
aftemath of the Iraq invasion.  Most Lebanses believe that Fatah al-Islam, far
from being aided by the Lebanse government, is in fact a Syrian plant . . ."

Another comment about al-qaeda in the Hersh article quotes a representative of
the Siniora government as saying "We have a liberal attitude that allows Al
Qaeda types to have a presence here."   Have we not supported the Siniora
government against Nasrallah and his Hezbollah?  Did Israel not support the
Siniora government against Hezbollah?  Does this mean that the Bush
Administration and Israel supported Jihadi Organizations with Al Qaeda ties?
Well. . . sort of, but not in any meaningful way.  Ideologically there is
little difference betwen the Islamism of Sayyid Qutb and the Islamism of
Khomeini.  One gave rise to Al Qaeda and the other to Hezbollah.  Let them
fight it out, and may the better Islamist organization win.

Lawrence

Lawrence