[lit-ideas] Re: Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:28:02 -0700

I'm not understanding the "it is not vacuous."   We could better say that
this is the case today, but it wasn't always so.  There was a time . . .

". . . researchers believe that key versions of immune system genes in
modern humans appear to have been passed down by archaic relatives,
including Neanderthals, after all. . ."

". . . DNA inherited from Neanderthals and newly discovered hominids dubbed
the Denisovans has contributed to key types of immune genes still present
among populations in Europe, Asia and Oceania. And scientists speculate that
these gene variants must have been highly beneficial to modern humans,
helping them thrive as they migrated throughout the world. . . "[from
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-neanderthal-immune-genes-20110826
,0,377237.story ]"

In another article,
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/26/MN971KQCVQ.DTL
we read,

"A fast-growing population of modern humans eventually drove the
Neanderthals to extinction 30,000 years ago, but the benefits of those early
dalliances between the two groups live on.

"The Neanderthals, it seems, passed on to humans many of the genes that now
mark our greatly improved immune systems, according to an international team
of researchers led by a Stanford group."

The most telling bit of information insofar as this discussion is concerned
comes from
http://www.dailytech.com/Neanderthal+Genome+Complete+Provides+Evidence+of+Ev
olution+Interbreeding/article18326.htm : "Researchers found that sequenced
human genomes from one San from southern Africa, one Yoruba from West
Africa, one Papua New Guinean, one Han Chinese and one French person shared
1 to 4 percent common genomic material with Neanderthals, the result of
these people's ancient ancestors interbreeding with the close relative.  The
genes appear to offer no benefit and be randomly placed.  Additionally the
transfer appears one way, from Neanderthals to humans."

Note the last sentence.  Thus, the mother raised her half-Neanderthal child
in a human environment.   It grows and has some advantage over its 100%
human kin and passes on the Neanderthal benefits.  But what happened to the
Neanderthal father?  Did he stay in the human tribe with his human wife or
did he merely rape her and return to his Neanderthal tribe?  I am inclined
to think the latter even though the articles written by the scientific
journalists call it "romance."  But if so, why wasn't the transfer two way?

In any case, there was a time when a human mother had a child that was
half-human and half-Neanderthal, thus falsifying, at least for a time,
"HUMANS HAVE HUMAN OFFSPRING AND ONLY SO."

Lawrence