[lit-ideas] Re: Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 01:55:11 +0100 (BST)

Necessity could be limited, by stipulation, to logical necessity or 'laws of
logic': but then, if there are physical laws, what term do we use to describe
why, given a law of physics and some initial conditions, then (logically) a
certain conclusion must follow? Whatever term, it would seem to be a surrogate
for a kind of necessity.

The necessity is not simply one of logical deduction but follows only because a
law of physics is given, and it is given as a necessity, albeit a physical one.
In other words, any law-like connection can be also described as a necessary
connection. For Popper, there is logical necessity (if we want, these are the
'laws' that prohibit something as not being possible in any logically possible
world) but also physical necessity or natural laws. These natural laws of the
physical world prohibit something as not being possible in the actual physical
universe (though it is conceivable, or logically possible, that another
physical universe could operate with different structural laws).

Of course, this means that 'natural laws' are logically contingent as it is not
self-contradictory to imagine a universe where they would not hold. But that
they are logically contingent does not mean they do not assert structural
properties for the actual universe that are seen as invariant and unalterable
in that actual universe: as "necessary" in that universe. So if 'E=mc2' were
such a 'natural law' or structural property of our universe, then it would be
correct to say that asserting this law is to describe the existence (or fact)
of a kind of physical necessity: and so the 'necessity' asserted by the law is
a fact, as well as being an interpretation. It may also be an 'empirical fact',
albeit that all this may mean is that it may be a 'fact' the truth of which is
open to testing by observation, and which may even survive the most rigorous of
those tests we can devise.

--- On Sun, 28/8/11, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >I don't know what it would mean for necessity to be a fact or not be
    a fact.>

Well, an example might be the 'necessity' posited in the equation "E=mc2": this
equation is either true, in which case the posited 'necessity' is a fact, or it
is false, in which the posited 'necessity' is not a fact. I have previously
alluded to the more sophisticated point that we can also treat "E=mc2" as
asserting no 'necessity' but simply no counter-example to itself, in which case
it could be true (because in no actual universe is there ever a
counter-example) yet there be no kind of physical necessity to this absence of
any counterexample: however, this would not alter the position that, if it were
so treated but were 'false', its falsity would nevertheless show there is no
necessity of the "E=mc2" kind.

<snip>

    <As far as I can tell, scientific 'laws' are empirical
    generalizations; they are not necessary truths or true 'of
    necessity.' That is, if they're falsifiable, they can't be true
necessariy.>

This only holds if we restrict "necessary" to what is logically "necessary".
But if there are any 'laws of nature', these posit something as "necessary" in
a sense distinct from logical necessity. My example of UGs, rather than 'laws
of logic', indicated I was referring to what was "necessary" in a sense
distinct from what is logically necessary. Perhaps it is necessary to make this
clearer?

Dnl
Ldn