[lit-ideas] Re: Names/ titles/ books on tape

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:44:53 -0700

On Apr 13, 2009, at 9:22 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
Alexander Mc Call Smith passes time well.

I should have specified the Botswana books. The others I haven't much enjoyed, though I see that "2 and a 1/2 Pillars of Wisdom" is read by Hugh Laurie. That might be worth a try. I also should have eliminated a space, Alexander McCall Smith.

Thinking about one his characters, Professor Doctor Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld, brought to mind a conversation I had last week with a colleague who is organizing a conference. She listed a speaker, "Professor Doctor Someoneorother." I wondered if this was a disciplinary status issue--the conference is on a subject that has less academic status than say, Neuroendocrinology; everyone else on the program is listed as "Bert" or "Doris"--but not this lady. The organizer said she insisted on her full title. She's Swiss.

You'll recall, those of you with memories that is, that on February 9 2009 I directed your attention to the correct way to address the current president of Trinidad and Tobago, "His Excellency Professor Max Richards, T.C., C.M.T." Note that his Ph.D. gets lost in all this; the rest suffices.

David Ritchie, E.T.C.