[lit-ideas] Re: books on tape

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:04:43 -0400

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM, William Dolphin <dolphinw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do any of you have much experience with books on tape?
>
> I'm likely confronting a 25-hr solo drive soon (moving back to California;
> wife and baby flying), and am thinking to entertain myself with an audio
> book or two, but have no real experience with them.
>
> Any recommendations on particular titles or works that would seem conducive
> to an audio experience?

I have been listening to books on tape for the past 15 years. I often
go on 4-6 hour bicycle rides in the nice months and it's great to have
my iPod loaded up with audiobooks. I have also criss-crossed the
continent in a car a dozen times and have always had some
books-on-tape with me. I also drive a lot for work, so I always have 4
or 5 loaded in my iPod. Just yesterday I started a Stuart Woods (will
lee) novel.

 I can't speak to your preference, but I prefer to listen to
thriller/whodunnits like David Baldacci, Michael Connelly, James
Patterson, Stephen White, Lee Child etc. I've tried a few non-fiction,
but I find the readers are generally less passionate about the reading
and it makes for dry listening. The thing I love about books on tape
is that they make the time go faster (for me anyway) because I'm not
always thinking "well, that was one cd, so that was 70 minutes" or
whatever. I just keep looking forward to the next chapter and before I
know it, 7 or 8 hours has drifted by. I highly recommend them.