[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Woman Denounces Violence, Gets Death Threats

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:35:11 -0800

No you didn't think there were none.  How could you when I have spoken at
length about the Reformers attempting to speak out during the Khatami
presidency?  Don't you recall the lengthy discussion about Soroush?  I was
very interested in these Reformers.  Khatami seems to be untouchable because
he was a very popular president, but he was voted out of office and now a
Hawk is in his place. Soroush (part of Khomeini's revolution) too was very
popular, but he was beaten and threatened and fled for the U.S.  There are
reformers here in the U.S.  But notice what you have quoted.  Reformers
exist someplace (probably in the U.S.) because they praise Dr. Wafa Sultan
for "saying out loud, in Arabic . . . what few Muslims dare to say even in
private."

Simon Ward could read this and conclude she is "critisizing the
fundamentalists rather than the average Muslim," but if so why are there
only "few Muslims" who "dare to say" such things critical of an Islamist
minority "even in private"?

Lawrence

  _____