[lit-ideas] Re: Murder in two cultures

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:04:20 -0700

Fictional Americans do confess sometimes. I'm searching memory for examples, and coming up only with "The Maltese Falcon," but it seems to me that there are a number of American detective movies that finish with dialog along the lines of:

"Drop the act, doll.  I know you did it."

"You're right. I'm rotten to the core. I've always been rotten. I killed him because he had it coming."

I write the part for a woman because I don't remember men confessing in the same manner. And then, of course, there's the "He had it coming" song in "Chicago." I bet people confessed in T.V. detective shows of a certain era. Rumpole of the Bailey is always quoting British movies of that post war era, "Cor, luv a duck, I give up, guv. You've got me bang to rights."

Which is a confession, of sorts.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon