[lit-ideas] Re: Murder in two cultures

  • From: N Miller <nm1921@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:36:52 -0400

Julie, I'm looking for literary studies only and I'm interested in your b) not a), which I introduced only by way of a shoehorn. I offered two dichotomized variables: cultural (though not legal) endorsement of revenge killings and the cultural expectation that such acts be acknowledged by the actor. France is high on both, Italy high on the first and low on the second, the US low on both. There's an empty cell (which I abhor) a culture low on the first but high on the second. I wonder if some Scandinavian country might fit. Does this help?

NM

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger wrote:

I think I'm confused by your original post, Norm --

"Here's a problem I've been working on.  US newspapers frequently
report cases of men killing their wives, then turning themselves
in.  Presumably it happens in France, though I don't know.  What
I do know is that where murder followed by surrender shows up not
infrequently in French literature and film (Julien Sorel,
Lacenaire, etc.) I have not been able to find a single example in
American fiction or films.  If this is so there's room for some
interesting speculation, but before wasting time on the latter it
would be prudent to make sure that my survey of the American
scene is accurate."

I guess I'm wondering if you are looking for real case studies, or literary allusions. The theme of guilt/remorse/martyrdom/ etc. is fairly romanticized in fiction. If turning one's self in after murder were very rare in factual life, one could not expect it to be hugely touted in fictional work, unless as fantasy, sci-fi, or Harlequins.

I think what I'm getting at is that your query conflates two different juxtapositions -- a) comparison/contrast between facts and literature (fiction), and b) comparison/contrast among cultures/countries. I think one would have to settle on one of the above and make the other subordinant.

Julie Krueger

In what countries

On 4/13/07, *N Miller* <nm1921@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nm1921@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Julie is quite right.  I'm looking for _fictional_ characters who
    do what Don José does when he kills  Carmen: "c'est moi qui l'a
    tué", followed by the heavy chords  that tell us where he's
    headed.  It interests me that the US, which nurtures so many
    divergent sub-cultures, is a place where beating the rap seems to
    be normative throughout.

    nm

    JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx <mailto:JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> Krueger wrote:

    I keep wanting to suggest a difference between turning one's self
    in and admitting to the crime (particularly as, if I understand
    correctly, people are with some frequency encouraged to plead
    guilty in court to whatever, to reduce the sentence and/or avoid
    jury trial).  But perhaps that's all splitting hairs and does not
    go to what Norman is getting at.

    Julie Krueger

    On 4/12/07, *Andy Amago* <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx